Thursday, April 10, 2008

Back to Blogging

It has now been just short of a full year since my last blog post, and I find myself being drawn back to the lively writing and obscure hypertext of the bloggesphere.

Of the numerous reasons for my absence from posting over the past year, the primary (though not only) problem which has plagued me has been the looming trap of repetition. Unlike some of the other ‘skeptical’ blogs, I have little to contribute to the great and interminable religious debates.

I am far more interested in the internal mechanisms and consequences of belief and non-belief.

Over the 16 months which spanned my (active) blogging career, I have written of the potent differences between the religious and the secular mindset. In many cases, the starkness of the difference in orientation is so powerful that few people within one group can appreciate how reasonable and compassionate people can hold the disparate views of the other group. Often, the two sides see only a vague and distorted caricature of the other, from which they seek to explain each others’ behavior and values.

It is a product, for better or worse, of the uniqueness of my experiences (and quirkiness of my personality) that I have a singular insight into these two very polarized views.

If there is any possible significant contribution of my blog, it is to help each group catch a small, fleeting glimpse of the world through the perspective of the other. If you are secular, perhaps you can gain a momentary insight into the depth, complexity and multi-leveled sophistication of the religious experience. If you are religious, perhaps you can appreciate for a brief moment how people who never worried for an instant how the universe came into being can feel so passionately and certainly about a moral world.

And, with that, I will set out to scribble onward - on this topic and perhaps on areas beyond….

9 Comments:

Blogger Lubab No More said...

> In many cases, the starkness of the difference in orientation is so powerful that few people within one group can appreciate how reasonable and compassionate people can hold the disparate views of the other group.

Well put. I look forward to reading the blog.

April 10, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger Baal Habos said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 10, 2008 7:00 PM  
Blogger Baal Habos said...

Welcome back.

>I am far more interested in the internal mechanisms and consequences of belief and non-belief.

What really is driving me nuts, is understanding the switch from belief to non-belief. Why do some get exposed to science & history accept the truth others resort to all sorts of apologetica.

April 10, 2008 7:00 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

welcome back, dbs!

April 10, 2008 11:53 PM  
Blogger Bruce Wayne said...

DBS,

Welcome back!! Looking forward to reading.

BHB,

>>> What really is driving me nuts, is understanding the switch from belief to non-belief. Why do some get exposed to science & history accept the truth others resort to all sorts of apologetica.

Read some of DBS's old posts. They are right on point.

Bruce

April 11, 2008 2:43 PM  
Blogger Baal Habos said...

Bruce, Thanks. DBS, there are a whole year's worth of your postings, and you were shutting down, when I came aboard. Any recommendations?

April 13, 2008 1:12 AM  
Blogger dbs said...

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for my long absence. Thanks for checking back. (And hi, lub-n-m, nice to see that there are some new faces in the, er, crowd.

BH,

My post which is most on point to your comment is called "Did you Ever Wonder..." (I can't for the life of me remember the hypertext script to link the reference.)

April 13, 2008 6:27 PM  
Blogger Baal Habos said...

DBS, thanks for the reference, I replied there.

April 14, 2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger Jewish Atheist said...

Glad you're back!

April 14, 2008 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home